- Founded in 1957 to encourage the rigorous systematic study of sexuality.
- More than 700 individuals hold membership in the Society.
- SSSS is a non-profit professional membership organization.
- A strength of the Society is the range of disciplines represented by its members, conference participants and journal authors.
- Membership of the Society includes anthropologists, biologists, educators, historians, nurses, physicians, psychologists, sociologists, theologians, therapists, and many other disciplines.
- The Society has a strong commitment to "the next generation" through the support of a vigorous student membership program and through the mentoring of young professionals who also serve as leaders in the organization.
- The Society's award program recognizes professional excellence, public service and service to The Society.
- A broad range of committee activity provides numerous opportunities for the involvement of members in the work of the Society.