- Founded in 1957 to encourage the rigorous systematic study of sexuality.
- More than 700 individuals hold membership in the Society.
- SSSS is a professional membership organization.
- A strength of the Society is the range of disciplines represented by its members, conference participants, and journal authors.
- Membership of the Society includes anthropologists, biologists, educators, historians, nurses, physicians, psychologists, sociologists, theologians, therapists, and many other disciplines.
- The Society has a strong commitment to "the next generation" through the support of a vigorous student membership program and the mentoring of young professionals, who also serve as leaders in the organization.
- The Society's Award Program recognizes professional excellence, public service, and service to The Society.
- A broad range of committee activity provides numerous opportunities for member involvement in the work of the Society.