In the year the award is presented, the recipient receives:
- Commemorative plaque (awarded to the first author)
- $250 award (awarded to the first author)
- $500 for travel to attend the SSSS Annual Conference to accept the award and deliver a talk during a concurrent session or hold a book-signing session*
- One night's accommodation at the conference host hotel*
- Complimentary conference registration*
*The travel, hotel, and conference registration are limited to one author. If travel is not required to attend the conference (e.g., the winner lives in the conference city or SSSS holds a virtual conference), travel and hotel will not be provided, but complimentary conference registration will remain in place.
Conditions on Accepting the Award
- Attend the SSSS Annual Conference to receive the award and present a portion of the book during a concurrent session or hold a book-signing session. The book signing session would be held during the conference in the exhibit hall with the opportunity for the author(s) to sell their book.
- The publisher agrees to include in any advertising for the book this message: "Winner of the Bonnie and Vern L. Bullough Book Award from The Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality."
The nomination period is open from January 1 - March 15 every other year (in alternate years from the Outstanding Theoretical Paper Award).
Nomination Guidelines and Process
The nominator and/or author(s) of nominated book does not need to be a SSSS member. Self-nominations are welcome.
The nominator bears responsibility for submitting the completed nomination.
Books published in 2022 and 2023 are eligible for the 2024 award.
The book must be an original work (not a new edition or an anthology of previously published material), and can be aimed at professional or lay audiences. It can be either authored or edited, but it should be strongly empirically informed.
The nominator must complete an online form nominating the book along with an application questionnaire, in which they provide:
- A synopsis of the book (no more than one page double-spaced)
- A description of how the book advances sexual science (no more than one page double-spaced)
- A description of how the content of the book is novel, innovative, and important (no more than one page double-spaced).
Review & Evaluation Process
Nominees for the Book Award will be evaluated in a two-step process.
- The Subcommittee will first review the authors' questionnaire responses. Based on the initial review, the Subcommittee will select a maximum of three books to be reviewed in its entirety. The SSSS office or Committee Chair will notify the three finalists.
- Finalists for the Bullough Book Award are required to send copies of the book (printed copy or electronic) to each of the three Subcommittee members for consideration. The winning book will be chosen from those finalists.
Each book is evaluated on the following criteria:
- The extent to which the book advances sexual science.
- The extent to which the book makes a coherent, meaningful, and important contribution to professional or lay understandings of sexual science.
- The extent to which the content of the book is novel and innovative.
- The extent to which the book acknowledges, includes, values, and/or amplifies diverse voices and strengths in sex science.
Questions? Contact SSSS at TheSociety@SexScience.org.